Location: South France (Ardèche). http://goo.gl/maps/msO4r
Great place for a family holiday combining climbing, swimming, culture and sunbathing.
Access: from the campsite Les Blaches or La Vignasse just cross the Chassezac river (knee deep) in a few minutes.
Topo guide: Ardèche (Guide des sites d’escalde). For sale on the campsites or in the farmshop in Casteljau.
Best season: Spring-Summer-Autumn. Summer is quite hot but climbing is possible until 11am and from 5 pm onwards. Or climb at the cave located on the same river bank as the campsite (5 minutes walk upstream) and always in the shade.
Another option is to visit the surrounding crags:
- Mazet plage (morning crag): 5th and 6th grade (10 minutes by car).
- Actinidias (afternoon crag): 6th, 7th and 8th grade (10 minutes by car).
- Lots of boulders (signposted circuits) near VVF (10 minutes drive in the direction of Les vans): many specially for kids.
Routes: Limestone. Single pitch routes. Ranging from 4 to 8a.
- Camping Les Blaches: best option (also cottages for rent).
- Camping La Vignasse
- Campin Mazet
- Camping Actinidias.
On rest days:
- Swimming in de Chassezac river or descending the river by kayak (for rent at camping Les Blaches).
- Great hikes.
- Typical French markets at Les Vans (best place for shopping) or Vallon-Pont-d’Arc.
- Descent the Ardèche river (kayaks for rent in Vallon-Pont-d’Arc).
- Jumping in the river at Actinidias: great swimming and jumps into the deep water from different heights.