Location: South east France (Verdon). http://goo.gl/maps/ZjhCU
Great playground for little kids at the bottom of the crag.
Access: From the village drive about 11.5 km along the superb road of the Verdon canyon into the direction of Comps. Park along the road (at an information board) and continue the road on foot and climb down about 80 meters (easy climbing but protect little kids with a rope, our daughter was 4 and loved it): 15 minutes maximum.
Topo guide: Aiguines. Verdon Rive Gauche. For sale on the campsite.
Best season: Spring-Summer-Autumn.
Routes: Limestone. Mostly single pitch routes. Ranging from 4 to 8b+.
There is a special crag for little children: Le Galetas. Situated near the bridge that crosses the Verdon river where it enters the lake. Short routes (3a to 4a) specially bolted so kids can lead in safety. It’s a morning crag so perfect to combine with an afternoon swimming in the lake.
Another morning crag for kids is Les Vernis “Lucky-Luke” with a longer but beautiful approach (30 minutes from the campsite) with routes from 3a to 5a+.
Camping de l’Aigle in the village of Aiguines: best option.
Camping municipal Le Galetas Sidevar near the lake.
On rest days:
- Visit the village Aiguines with an interesting museum about “jeux de boules”.
- Swimming in the lake “lac de Sainte-Croix”.
- Rent kayaks or pedalo’s to explore the Verdon river upstream (some deep water solo routes can be found there).
- Decent the Verdon by kayak or hike all the way through the canyon.
- Big abseils at “Pas de Gairou”. Hike for 45 minutes and descent with 7 abseils to the river. More information in the topo guide.